Here’s what you get inside…
Module 1: Ocular Anatomy and Basic Principles
In this module we’ll introduce basic optician training principles such as…
- Eye anatomy so that you understand how the eye works
- How lenses optically help a person see clearly
- Lens types and why a patient may need each one
- Associating refractive errors with patient symptoms
- Reading the parts of a prescription
Module 2: Lens Parameters
For this module, we’ll be training rock-solid skills in measuring every part of prescription glasses. This module will cover…
- Lensometry with picture-in-picture video training, showing you the drum movements and through the eyepiece at the same time
- How to find the optical center of a lens (and why this is important)
- Measuring base curves of lenses and detecting warpage
- The frequently misunderstood three types of prism measurement (Yes, there are three types) and WHY you must know the difference
Module 3: Picking the perfect frame for the patient
Frame selection is more than “give this one a try”, it is a blend of style and function. In Module 3 we’ll show you the science behind the frame fitting process…
- Understand frame materials and why the wrong material makes for very unhappy patients
- Choose the right frame for the patient’s prescription. This will keep you from getting a phone call from the lab requesting the patient needs to chose a new frame.
- The seven shapes of faces and the best frame shape for each one.
- Hearing aids, kids, and oxygen tubes, oh my! How to fit for special populations (and a very unique frame made for oxygen tube users that will make YOU the patient’s friend for life!)
Module 5: The PERFECT frame and lens combination
Getting that PERFECT pair of glasses starts at the time of ordering. This makes your job at dispensing easy. That’s why module 4 is so valuable. We’ll go over together the following concepts…
- How to create the perfect frame and lens pairing
- Why adjusting the frame at time of ORDERING is so important to a successful fit.
- The 4 ways of measuring a near PD, and why the wrong way may be a disaster.
- The many tools for making adjustments and how each one is used.
- The 3 forgotten adjustments and why each one is so important (Pantoscopic tilt, faceform, and vertex)
- How to insure you get the bifocal, trifocal, and progressive seg heights correct
Module 5: Lens Options
How do you provide the patient with lens features that are matched perfectly with their needs? We’ll show you…
- The best time to use tints, polarization, mirrors, and photochromatics
- How to minimize aberrations frequently encountered on high index lens materials
- What option must ALWAYS be paired with an aspheric lens
- Creating the ultimate thin and light weight lens for your patient
- The sometimes ugly truth about high index materials (why does a higher index lens sometimes make it heavier than a ower index lens?)
Module 6: Contact lenses and training
Contact lenses can be fun and easy. We will break this topic down into the following areas…
- Step by step process for training your patient on application and removal of soft AND RGP contact lenses.
- The purpose of a Greenie and the only time to EVER use one
- The proper care and cleaning of soft and RGP lenses.
- Discover the only source of information you will ever need on contact lens options and how to order them
Module 7: Eye conditions and their visual symptoms
Module 7 will have you understanding common eye conditions that your patients will be complaining about, such as…
- Cataracts and when do they get removed?
- Expectations from your patients with macular degeneration
- What symptoms ALWAYS require an appointment be with the doctor?
- What are all those drops for in your glaucoma patients?
- And more!
Module 8: Recognizing potential pitfalls
We are not training you to be an average optician. By the end of this chapter you will be EXCEPTIONAL. That is what this chapter is all about…
- What is Anisometropia and what three effects of it MUST be considered when ordering glasses?
- The Prentice Rule and why this equation is (almost) the only one you will ever need to know
- Wow your prescribing doctor by catching potential issues he or she may have missed
- We all like shortcuts. We will show you a shortcut to determine if Slab-off is needed when the axis is oblique (don’t have any clue what was just said? Don’t worry, you will be a PRO at this stuff by the end of this chapter)
- Discover when more clear vision does not always make for a happy patient
Module 9: Going from good to great
A great optician creates a life long customer. We will show you how to do just that plus…
- How to turn an unhappy patient into one more loyal than if they had never been unhappy?
- When to drop the price bomb on a patient
- INCREASE your average dollar sale 20% by using top-down verses bottom-up discussions
- Give you a blueprint for troubleshooting patient complaints. Reduce the times you send a patient back to the doctor for rechecks in half and look like a hero!
- Best way to diffuse the difficult or unhappy patient
- Provide you a checklist to insure the glasses you ordered pass quality inspection. Do the glasses deserve to be dispensed to the patient?
- A SINGLE word to use which will increase your second pairs by 50% (without sounding like a salesperson)
- Why would hearing the phone ring NOT a good thing? Get the step-by-step blueprint to make sure it is not ringing for all the wrong reasons
- Improve your communication skills to convey authority and happier patients
- The single most important thing to excel in your optical training and career
Bonus #1: A collection of useful forms you can download today to make your job easier including….
- Patient tracking
- Dispensing checklist
- Goal setting
- Duty to warn
- Troubleshooting analysis
- Contact lens fitting and pricing disclosure
- Prescription analysis
- Medicare/Medicaid optical materials disclosure
- Off work medical release
- Ourtside doctor Rx correspondence
- With more added periodically
Bonus #2: A collection of reports updated periodically keeping your optician training up-to-date including….
- Digital lenses: 10 things you need to know
- Safety glasses: The 3 “musts” of prescribing safety glasses
- AR coatings and their unique considerations
- Product demonstrations: The psychology behind demonstrating your frame selection
- New product alerts
- New reports added periodically
The Optician Training Manual
Bonus #3: “The Optician Training Manual” digital edition to print or read on any device (when watching a video is just not an option)….
- Complete access to the entire “Optician Training Manual”, the book that started it all
- 278 pages with over 200 illustrations
- Read on any device. Or if you prefer, print out pages, chapters, and exercises (or the entire book) for everyone in your office
- A $59 value, yours included with the OptiQuick Rapid Optician Training System